Wednesday 26 June 2013

Ask your father...

At the moment I am looking at advertising in one of my classes; analysing media isn't really on the curriculum here. I think it's useful for students to think about, deconstruct and reconstruct the world around them.
This is a current Eikoh cram school advertisment in the Tokyo trains.
The text -  "Dad what does TPP mean?"
The subtext.....
 I gave students some time to think. I told them the advertisement irritated me because of the implied meaning...
 "Don't ask your mother, she's too stupid."

It was an "ahhh" moment for much of the class ... 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rurousha said...

It would've been even worse if it were Okaasan asking Otoosan. Here married folk also address each other as "Mother" and "Father", don't they? It used to be common in the Afrikaans community, too, and it always freaked me out. You lose your own identity when you multiply?

Anyway, Okaasan couldn't possibly have read about the TPP, since she's too busy managing Otoosan's pocket money.

PS: The CAPTCHA code I have to enter is "much ffegge". Somehow fitting.

Cecilia said...

Now that you mention it, it could just as easily be translated that way...

It drives me nuts that the saka-ya man "happy chappy" as we affectionately call him - calls me Okaasan / Mama....


grrrrr. But his wife is lovely, so I still get my umeshu there.