Tuesday 8 April 2014

4・8 Happy Wrinkles Day!



Today is Shiha / Shiwa no hi!


For people who have no idea what I'm talking about, the word for wrinkle, shiwa (shiha) is a pun on  today's date 8/4, or as is written in Japanese (year, month, date).  Shi Gatsu (4 month)  Hachi Nichi (8 day - usually pronounced you-ka, but due to historical Chinese/Japanese pronunciations, it can be read either way.

I will keep an eye out for beauty salon advertisements trying to cash in on it.

Meanwhile,  Enjoy the wrinkles!


I've been trying to think of other dates that are puns but am coming up short even though there are several. One of the more famous ones is 29th of every month is "Meat Day"  ni (2) - ku (9) = niku = the Japanese word for meat. 11/11 has been dubbed Pocky day because the straight lines of 1111 look like pocky!



2 comments:

SomedaysSarah said...

Ha! Wrinkle day!

My personal favourite is shortcake day, the 22nd of every month. I like the day not because I like strawberry shortcake, and have never even eaten Japanese shortcake on the 22nd, but I love the reason behind the day. If you look at a calendar the 22nd is below the 15th, or ichi-go - which also means strawberry. Thus the 22nd always has a "strawberry" on top... hence strawberry shortcake!

Cecilia said...

This is very very cool Sarah. I had no idea!